In December 1862 the Confederate government entered into a contract with the S.C. Robinson Arms Manufactory in Richmond, VA, of which John H. Lester was then superintendent, to purchase all the breech loading carbines of the sharps pattern that the firm could produce. A quantity of Model 1859 Sharps carbines had been purchased by the state of Georgia prior to the outbreak of hostilities, which were subsequently "loaned" to the Confederacy, and it is likely that those modern, self-priming, self-contained paper cartridge-firing arms served as the model for the carbines made at the Richmond, VA firm S.C. Robinson. In March 1863 the Confederate Ordnance Department took over the manufacture of Sharps pattern carbines from S.C. Robinson without a break in the serial numbering, although their side-plates were no longer marked with the Robinson name and date of manufacture. A survey among private and institutional collections revealed 183 surviving examples of Confederate Sharps carbines, of which 79 were made by the S.C. Robinson firm and 104 by the Confederate government. This Confederate government manufactured example is serial numbered 2644 and survives in a excellent state of original preservation, with original "matching" serial numbered Confederate "breech-block." The barrel retains a clear Richmond VA firm marking with excellent condition "wood stock" through-out. A completely original CS Sharps carbine is a true rarity to encounter today, in an unaltered and original state. Research by "Confederate Carbines & Musketoons" Cavalry Small Arms Manufactured in the for the Southern Confederacy by John M. Murphy,M.D. CS Acquisitions provides a "Life-Time Guarantee of Authenticity"