In 1845 Ferdinand W.C. Cook moved to New Orleans and was joined by his brother, Francis L. Cook in 1855. After Louisiana seceded from the Union in January of 1861, the brothers established an armory, located at 1st Canal Street. On April 1st, 1862 an arms contract with the Confederacy was negotiated, stipulating that Cook & Brother was to supply 30,000 stands of Enfield pattern rifles "with sabre-bayonet sheath and frog", at a cost of $30.00 each. Overall production of long arms at Athens continued up to 7000 serial number range, the production of carbines and musketoons obviously was significantly less than that of rifles. Rifles, Carbines, Musketoons. Naval Cutlasses were manufactured by Cook & Brother, in both New Orleans, Louisiana and Athens, Georgia. All manufactured Cook & Brother musketoons share the same basic dimensions and characteristics. Production in both New Orleans and Athens, Georgia. The exceedingly rare “Cook & Brother Naval Cutlass” is patterned after the U.S. Model 1841 cutlass, the blade being double-edged, with a diamond cross section 1 ¾ inches wide at the hilt. Blade lengths alternate between 20 and 21 inches on surviving specimens. The brass guard consists of a broad strip, beaded on either outer edge, gradually expanding from pommel to form a wide flat counterguard which ends in a quillon terminating in a flat disc. Grip and pommel are cast in one piece. The firm name “COOK & BROTHER” in small stamping is located on top of the guard. CS Acquisitions Museum.